Wednesday, April 30, 2008

In the Bowl - East Olive Way, Seattle

I thought I had already written about this place, but after todays lunch, I wanted to write again. Turns out, I never wrote of this place. That is a shame because this is my favorite restaurant.

In the Bowl is a vegetarian noodle bistro. It’s located on Capitol hill, about a 10 minute walk from my office.

The menu consists of seven different sections. Starters, Salads, Soup, Noodes, Fried Rice, Curry and Stir Fry. There are many options here.


My favorite dish is the Spicy Noodle. You get to choose the type of noodle, Wide rice, chow mien or Udon noodle. I almost always go with the chow mien.

Next you choose your protein. Fresh or fried Tofu, Soy chicken, soy beef, or for an extra buck, soy Prawns. I always choose the fried tofu.

Finally, they ask you how many stars for spice. I always go with 3 stars and it’s just right. I get a ramekin of Chili sauce just to make sure. I usually end up dipping the tofu chunks in the chili sauce.

Everything about this place is excellent. It appears to be a family owned restaurant. The staff seems very involved and knowledgeable. I am always greeted with a smile and my food is always ready to go when I get there. I call ahead of course...

Today while eating it, I was so happy. The flavor is full, each bite is just a joy. Fresh veggies are mixed in at just the right amount. Big slices of carrots, caramelized onions, broccoli and egg plant are usually in this dish. The tofu is cooked perfectly, nice and firm, not mushy inside like a lot of places.

The spice is just right. When I am done my mouth has a slight burn to it. The dessert that accompanies the dish is just what I need. I don't usually eat dessert, but this just hits the spot. It has a light soy cream on top of some sort of fruit pudding. It’s not real sweet, I have no idea what it is and the menu states that the dish comes with the "dessert of the week". It’s been the exact same dessert every time I have ordered for over a year.

I highly recommend In the Bowl. Even if you are a carnivorous human, you will be pleased. Every time I am there, the tables are full and most people seem to be having a soup dish. In the Capitol Hill neighborhood, places come and go, I surely hope this place never goes.

2 comments:

Kyle Chittick said...

more photos, more directions and/or street addresses (at least for the places you love!). perhaps even a link to an appropriate Web site. just an idea.

ps. we carnivores, don't really get that excited about soup. :-)

Craig said...

OMG.. I just had the Red Curry.. It was absolutely fabulous! Home made red curry sauce. YUM

address is East Olive way Kyle. If you get lost, call me. :)