Monday, September 22, 2008

Qwest for a new breakfast - Kress Supermarket

I have been a regular breakfast diner at the Qwest Bell Plaza Cafeteria for many years. The food is nothing special, industrial cooking, similar to any cafeteria I suppose. I liked it because it was cheap and edible. I could get an egg and hashbrown breakfast that would fill me up, for $2.17. Occasionally, if I had the time, I would get an omelet. I don't remember the exact price, somewhere around 4 dollars for a made to order omelet. You just can't beat that.

Qwest recently sold the building. Qwest worked out a deal to lease the lower half of the building from the new owners. Since the entire Qwest building is cramming into half the building, some thing had to go. Well, actually two things. The cafeteria closed, being turned into office space. My company is out the door by end of year also. So, I guess it was inevitable that sooner or later, I'd have to find a new breakfast spot.

I decided to try Kress Supermarket on 3rd and Pike. I walk by it every morning, it seemed like a good place to start. I wasn't even sure they had breakfast.

Sure enough, they did offer breakfast. Three options, Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, and Hash Browns.

Kress weighs by the pound ($6.49 a lb), so I tried to carefully scoop the equivalent of eggs and hashbrowns that I normally get. The damage, $4.09.

The eggs were better than Qwests, but the hashbrowns were patties, kept in a steamer tray. They were very soggy.

This is probably not going to be my regular breakfast stop.

No comments: