Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sams #3 - 15th and Curtis, Denver

While in Denver, I went to many restaurants, as usual.

I had lots of decent food at fancy places. Nothing stood out as spectacular though. One thing I did like was the professional waitstaff. Its so nice to have a professional front of the house. Its rare in these parts, in fact, its probably non existent. One reason I believe is because of the competition in the Denver 16th street mall district. There are so many restaurants in this area, they all are looking for the edge. I saw wait staff taking tests about what is on the menu, that is pretty cool.

My favorite breakfast place in Denver is an old greasy spoon, Sams #3. It has been in business for 81 years. It doesn't fit in very well with all the new upscale restaurants that have opened up all around it, and that adds to its appeal.

I ate there every morning I was in town, and I had the same thing every day, the #3 breakfast special. 3 egg american cheese omelet, home fries and toast for $3.70. It was fast and good. I was always trying to get somewhere, so I really didn't want a fancy breakfast, I needed an in and out, and this is the spot. The wait staff was great, except for the last day, the waitress was kinda spacey and I had to ask twice for tabasco. Other than that, this place was perfect. I can't wait to go back and I wish we had a place like that here.

1 comment:

Kyle Chittick said...

We used to, it was called 'The Sands' :-). My only question is how were the home-fries (those seem to vary heavily from place to place and it's sometimes hard not for them to be greasy). My only suggestion is... take a photo every once in a while of either the place or da food. Keep on bloggin' dawg.