Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Mikes Seafood - Ocean Shores, WA

Its been a while since I have written a restaurant review. Not because I haven't been eating out, but because I have already review it, or was so uninspired, there was nothing worth saying..

While on a family trip at Ocean shores, I had a chance to sneak away, while the kids were in a movie.

I went to Mikes Seafood, part market, part restaurant, to purchase some live crab for dinner. Unfortunately, they were not carrying crab that week, due to the rising costs of the crab.

I decided to have lunch. I ordered the fish and chips, three piece cod basket. They also offered halibut and chips, salmon and chips, oysters, steamer and razor clam baskets as well. They also had fresh steamers, which looked fabulous.

The fish and chips came up fairly quickly in this old, weathered coastal cafe. I was immediately impressed by the dish. It looked great, the batter was a golden color. The fries were cooked perfectly.

One bite of the fish and I knew I had really screwed up... Why wasn't this my first stop everytime I come to the ocean. It will be for now on. They were heavenly. Fresh cod, perfectly cooked, and the quality of the fish was beyond excellent. The batter was light and crunch, and was a perfect compliment. The fries were decent, and the tartar sauce was good as well. Although I still prefer Ivars Tartar.

The service was ok. I was seated quickly, but the two tables that came in after me were served first. I ran out of Tartar and asked for more. I had to wait about 5 minutes for more tartar and I nearly finished my lunch before it showed up.

The server was helpful when I told him I really wanted some live crab. He told me of a place in Aberdeen that had live crab, and even gave me directions. I didn't go though. He also told me I'd be paying about $8.50 a pound.. yikes!

I don't recall how much my lunch was, but it was reasonable and fantastic!

3 comments:

Kyle Chittick said...

can't believe you didn't just go for the halibut instead....

you still need to review Brent's Halibut bites

Craig said...

eh, I like cod. Halibut is good, I had some fresh a few weeks ago. To me, a true fish and chip is made with cod. Pacific Cod to be specific.

Kyle Chittick said...

Halibut kicks ass over Cod