Wednesday, April 9, 2008

J J's Fish House - Poulsbo, WA

I found myself in Poulsbo Monday afternoon, with some time to spare and an appetite.

We drove around a bit, to see if any new places have opened up since my last trip to Fishtown.

The bar on main street has again changed hands. I don't remember the new name, but there was a big sign that stated they now serve breakfast.. the place was closed at 4 pm..

We settled on JJ's. I haven't been to JJ's since it moved from Main Street, to its new location on the waterfront, next to Thats a some Italian, which I like, but wasn't in the mood for pasta.

The new location is very upscale. The entire front of the building opens up in the summer to an open air patio in front. The decor was very nice, some paintings of old sail boats were placed on the walls.

Our waitress seated us and she was very excited about it. She was bubbly and happy. She came back very quickly to offer us drinks. We chose water and she returned promptly. We ordered, I ordered the Crab Cake burger. Its basically a fresh dungeness crab cake on a hamburger bun. $8.95 makes it pretty much the cheapest thing on the menu. I thought the prices were a little high, but again, they have gone upscale. They have a great wine selection and have quite a good menu.

The food came out pretty quickly and we dove in. The crab cake burger came with lettuce, onion and tomato on the side. The tomatoes were buried under the hot fries, which I didn't like so much. It also was served with a side of some sort of mango sauce. I tried it on a few bites, but it wasn't my thing. Kinda reminded me of jam. I would have been better served with tartar sauce.

B had the house salad. It came with a house vinaigrette dressing which she liked. However, they used a small plate, and proceeded to pile up way too much for such a small plate. Her salad kept falling off the plate onto the table. She explained to me that restaurants generally keep the food in the center of the plate, and leave a border on the outside. Its a better look that a busy small plate that can't hold all the food. Other than that, she liked her salad just fine.

My crabcake was good, fresh made, which is a plus, and it was a good sized cake. I bit into a few pieces of cartilage, to further my opinion that they were made fresh...

The server came and took my plate. B was almost done with her salad.. And then we never saw our server again... We watched as she worked every table around us, carefully never making eye contact with us again. I was in a hurry now, I was waiting for a tire to be fixed up the street and it was well past the pickup time. We watched and watched as she completely ignored us...

I finally went up to the cashier. The other waitress came over quickly and looked for my bill. I explained that I never got a bill. She looked it up on her computer and found our tab and I paid it. I hesitantly went over and left a 10% tip. The entire time this happened, our server never saw us.

It was a very strange experience. She was so overboard at the beginning, we joked that the coffee here must be really good and strong.. Then, suddenly, we were non existent. I have never experienced that before. Usually its good service, or bad service, not good then bad in the same visit!

I would consider coming back again, but will probably go to Thatsa some Italian next time we are in the neighborhood.

4 comments:

Kyle Chittick said...

how bout more about the menu? I know they serve crab cakes and salads based on your review but what else? is it a seafood place?

and how would you know if they have a 'great' wine list? :-) I didn't know you were such an enophile.

Craig said...

I guess I am not, since I don't know what an enophile is..

They have wine racks full of wine all over the place. I suppose it could be all junk.

They serve fish, hence the name.

The fish and chips looked good, we saw another table get them and they were huge.

Kyle Chittick said...

bah, Starbucks has tons of coffee all over their store but you wouldn't say it was 'great' coffee would ya now!

:-)

Fish... how descriptive. So I assume they don't serve any other meat? And did you bring your own salad? That wasn't on the 'sign' either. I'm confused. You mean people sell different food than their sign says? That explains Chilis...

enophile. Go look it up. sheesh

Unknown said...

Fish Town? Stay home in Idiot town next time.