Friday, January 25, 2008

Pike Place Chowder - Pacific Place

I am so sick of the food in this neighborhood. I've been working here for 8 years now and I am just so dang sick of the food options. My favorite noodle house is too far to walk too when its 34 degrees out. The Pita express is good once a week. Thats about where I am at now. In fact, sometimes I just don't eat lunch at all and then leave work a bit early to grab Ivars fish and chips on the way to the ferry. Ivars is the best and has been all my life.

Today I decided to walk across the street to Pacific Place. I went to the food court on the top floor and looked around. Johnny Rockets, no. Wild Ginger, no. The mexican place does a decent fish taco, but I decided to try my luck with Pike Place Chowder.

Unfortunately, too many restaurants put Chicken stock in their chowder, so that was out. Although, they did have a vegan chowder. It had lime, coconut, curry and veggies. Interesting, perhaps another day.

I ordered the large order of Pacific Cod Fish and Chips ($9.95 ouch). The large fish and chips contained three decent size fillets on a bed of fries. I grabbed three tartars and headed back to work.

The fish was good quality and the breading was light and crunch. Unfortunately, the fish was a touch undercooked. Not raw, but it could have used a few more minutes. The Fries were also undercooked. A few of them were a bit raw and crunchy... most were just plain soggy and limp. The tartar sauce lacked any flavor. It was basically mayonnaise.

I did manage to get my fill, but Ivars still rules the fish and chips world, for a third of the price.

I would consider coming back to try the vegan chowder and perhaps the Wild salmon and chips or prawns and chips some time.

UPDATE:
after I left work I felt pretty ill. I was sick for a few hours after. I couldnt figure it out, but now I think it must have been the tartar sauce that was sitting out on the counter all day... ugh.

4 comments:

Kyle Chittick said...

where's gordon birsch? I guess they went out of biz huh? they had great food from what I remember!

Kyle Chittick said...

and there's nothing worse than undercooked soggy fries... well, maybe undercooked fish. sounds nasty.

Craig said...

No, unfortunately Gordon Birsch is stil there. Its usually pretty crowded, not so much of a take out lunch spot. I really dislike their beer. GB is not a place I care to frequent.

Kyle Chittick said...

oh yeah, since you don't eat meat you probably don't like their apps. don't they have garlic fries? and seafood? I seem to remember some good food there. And of course you don't like their brew. You like water beer. :-)