Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Aroydy Thai Cuisine - May 22, 2007

Much has been said about this restaurant in recent years... common reviews say the food is good, service sucks.. That is true most of the time.. I probably picked a lame restaurant to start my new blog, but so be it.

We arrived on a Tuesday evening about 6:30. We were seated immediately.
It was the best table we have ever had there, usually we are in the back by the kitchen, or in some odd cubby hole. Once we had to eat in the dark bar... To be fair, its the least crowded I have ever seen the place. It would have been really odd for them to seat us in the back.

We usually order an appetizer here, but had trouble agreeing on one this time. Usually we get the veggie spring rolls, which, is not even on the appetizer menu. You have to go the the last page of the 4 or 5 page menu to get to the vegetarian options. The first one listed is the Veggie Tempura, so we decided to try that.

The waitress came and we ordered the app and two Thai beers, "Singha". Its a good light beer.
We were not ready to order the entree yet, so she went to get the beers. She came back promptly and we ordered. I ordered the Tofu Phad Thai, my usual order. Bronwen ordered the Swimming Angel, her usual order.

The appetizers came in an acceptable amount of time. The tempura was a reddish color, very appealing. I grabbed one, it was too hot to eat.

Once it was ok to eat, we dug in. The brocolli was a bit tough, but I thought the carrots and zuchinni were palatable. Honestly, I am not a huge tempura fan in the first place. The plum sauce was good, however I suspect they buy it pre made.

The entrees arrived before we finished the appetizer! I was shocked, service was right on today.

My phad thai was average at best. I detected the taste of orange juice concentrate in the sauce. I didn't care for the sweet tangy taste. I tried to drown it out with Hot sauce. Not much luck, but it was still ok. I ate half and saved half for work, which I am eating now.

Bronwen was pleased with the Swimming Angel, which is chicken on a bed of spinach, with some sort of gravy on it. I didnt try it obviously..

I have never tasted orange juice in a dish before. I am slightly prejudiced due to the fact that Bronwens last chef she worked for before taking his job, used orange juice concentrate in many dishes.. to that I say NASTY.. dont do it. there are other ways to make a dish sweet and fruity.

all in al l though, it was a decent experience, and its the only thia place in N. Kitsap, so we will go back again I am sure.

4 comments:

Kyle Chittick said...

The 'only' Thai food in N.Kitsap? How come the only place I hear about is Sawatdy's? I've eaten there and liked it very much.

Nut up and eat some meat dude, you're missing out on 95% of everyone's menu. Isn't it hard to judge everyone on 'only' their veggie options?

Craig said...

uh, Bainbridge is not North Kitsap and my dietary preferences have no place in this blog. thanks for your post...

Kyle Chittick said...

What is Bainbridge then? Central Kitsap? West Kitsap? I'll bet Sawatdy's is closer to your place than Aroydy! :-)

And I think your dietary preference has a lot to do with the blog. You should rename it 'Craig's Exploration of Vegetarian Restaurant Offerings'. You miss at least 90% of most menus so it hardly seems fair to grade them only on their Veggie stuff.

It'd be like having a blog that only reviews Chicken Wings or Nachos instead of a 'Restaurant' blog. Course those aren't bad ideas either actually!

Keep on bloggin'!

Craig said...

CRAIG!!!!!

I'm sorry, but meat happens to be the most fantastic thing in the whole, wide world! And, Bainbridge IS part of North Kitsap. The dark side misses you.....................

Love B